Ford Motor Co. said today it’s spending $1.2 billion on three Michigan facilities, including investments related to bringing back Ranger and Bronco trucks to the US market.
Ford (Dearborn, MI) will spend $850 million at its Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne to prepare the factory to build the new Ranger at the end of 2018 and Bronco in 2020.
Also announced today was a $150 million investment at the automaker’s Romeo, MI, engine plant. Ford said it’s expanding the plant’s capacity, including to build engines for Ranger and Bronco. The company said in a statement the move will “create or retain” 150 jobs.
Ford also will spend $200 million on a data center in Michigan. The company said the center will support its “expansion to an auto and mobility company and expected dramatic increase in data storage needs.”
Michigan Assembly Plant currently produces the Focus small car. The next-generation Focus will be assembled at a Ford plant in Hermosillo, Mexico. Ford originally planned to build a new $1.6 billion plant in Mexico for the Focus. The automaker canceled the project following criticism by President Donald Trump.
With the new versions of the mid-size Ranger pickup and Bronco, Ford is looking to extend its truck sales. The automaker already has F-Series pickups, the biggest-selling line of vehicles in the United States. The truck models will also help secure 3500 jobs at the Wayne plant. Ford said in January.
The spending announced today is in addition to a $700 million investment at the company’s Flat Rock, MI, plant to build autonomous and electric vehicles. The money for Flat Rock is coming from funds that had been earmarked for the now-canceled Mexican plant.
Ford’s investment plans were reported yesterday by The Detroit News. That apparently spurred Trump to post a tweet at 6:36 a.m. today in support of Ford.
Big announcement by Ford today. Major investment to be made in three Michigan plants. Car companies coming back to U.S. JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 28, 2017